Are you hurting from a past abortion(s)? Do you feel alone with your grief, perhaps thinking that no one else feels the way you do? You are not alone. Many women and men who have experienced abortion suffer from Post-Abortion Stress (PAS).
Post Abortion Stress is described as the inability to:
- Process the painful thoughts and emotions about a crisis pregnancy and subsequent abortion – guilt, anger, and sorrow.
- Identify the loss that has incurred.
- Come to peace with self and others.
To see if you may be suffering from PAS, ask yourself the following questions:
1. Are you struggling to turn off the feelings connected to your abortion(s), perhaps telling yourself to just get over it?
2. Are you uncomfortable around pregnant women, babies and/or children?
3. Are there certain times of the year when you find yourself depressed or sick, such as the anniversary of the abortion, the due date of the aborted child or both?
4. Are you pre-occupied about becoming pregnant again?
5. Have you noticed an increase in drug/alcohol abuse or other self-destructive behaviours ie. eating disorders, promiscuity?
6. Have you experienced bouts of depression and/or thoughts of suicide since your abortion?
7. Have you re-experienced events related to the abortion ie nightmares, flashbacks?
8. Can you talk about abortion? When choosing to share about your abortion(s), are you overcome with strong feelings?
9. Do you experience anxiety over fertility and child-bearing issues?
10. Do you tend to look at your life in terms of “before” and “after” the abortion(s)? Has your self-esteem changed?
Whether your abortion(s) took place recently or years ago there is healing and there is hope.
Our Post-Abortion Recovery Program is a 12-week program that offers one-to-one counseling by a compassionate and empathetic trained peer counselor. Support groups may also be available. Our Post-Abortion Recovery Program is highly confidential and there is no cost.